When I first started recruiting I had zero experience. I had the desire and drive but needed someone to give me a chance. I was lucky enough to get in with a regional firm where I started as an internet recruiter and quickly moved my way up to a team lead, a full desk recruiter and then a supervisor. So in my opinion, I don't think employers need to look at the experience as much as the persons drive. Is the person going to be able to make 50-80 calls a day? Is this person going to be the type of person that will be able to form and keep the relationships of the sort of people that will make the firm money?
The other question is how much experience is too much experience? Is a senior person going to come in and work a desk with no habits? Of course they are going to have habits! The question is can they conform to a companies way of doing things. When I was in San Diego I interviewed and got a job with a firm that was looking for a Director of Search. Their need was to find someone who would be able to drive their accounting and finance practice from no revenue to a profitable business. While I had no problem doing that, I did have a problem with a micromanaging boss. It got to the point where I didn't like to come in and weekends where not any better because I knew Monday was not too far away. Thankfully I ended up leaving because we had to move back to the desert due to my sons asthma.
Since I left Vegas in 2003 I have kept in touch with a ton of former clients and candidates. I have nothing to offer them and they have nothing to offer me. Through some tremendous relationship building I was able to transition those relationships from pure client/candidate relationships to true friendships.
So the question is what sort of impact will a very junior person have on your firm and what sort of impact will a very senior person have on your firm?
Sound off and thou shalt be heard!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment